The Senior Software Engineer designs and develops high performance, distributed, state-of-the-art software using Java,SQL and Web 2.0 technologies to create unique features and a compelling user experience on the SHOP.COM site. This individual works in a team environment and also independently to design and develop new software or make significant enhancements to existing code.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Complies with company policies and procedures and performs other duties as needed.
Primary Contacts (outside dept.)
· Program/Project Management; to coordinate scope of work, deliverables and schedules.
· Database Team; to plan, design and coordinate database schema and troubleshoot.
· Quality Assurance; to collaborate on test plans and to resolve fixes.
· May train or mentor other developers.
Education and Experience
· Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or Software Development
· Or, a combination of equivalent experience, education, and training.
· 5+ years general work experience in technology.
· 5+ years progressive experience programming in Java (J2EE).
· 3-5 years experience developing web applications, preferably using an MVC pattern.
· 3-5 years experience designing and developing RDBMS persistence in SQL, preferably in a SQL Server environment.
· 1-2 years experience developing RESTful web services in Java.
· 1-2 years experience in full lifecycle development preferred.
Skills – Technical
Advanced skills in:
Proficient skills in:
o Relational database management systems
o Multi-threaded, concurrent programming
o OOP analysis and design
o XML processing (JAXP, JDOM)
o HTTP and TCP/IP
o RESTful Java
o MS Office products (other than Excel)
Basic knowledge of:
Skills – General
Proficient skills in:
o English Reading Comprehension
o Critical Thinking
o Complex Problem Solving
o Operations Analysis
o Quality Control Analysis
o Systems Analysis
o Systems Evaluation
o Judgment and Decision-making
Above moderate skills in Active Listening
Moderate skills in Service Orientation
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health, dental, vision, life, short and long-term disability insurance, and a 401(k) retirement plan with company match.
Relocation opportunities exist. Sorry, no work visa sponsorships or transfers at this time.
To explore all SHOP.COM and Market America career opportunities, visit
SHOP.COM, a Market America company, is the comparison shopping engine designed to meet the shopping needs of today’s consumer and the business needs of merchants. Leveraging the features of its patented OneCart along with extensive partner marketplace integration, and thousands of pages of unique shopping-centric editorial, SHOP.COM helps customers “Shop Smart, Save Big” across thousands of online stores. For more information, please visit the About Us section of www.shop.com.
Market America is a product brokerage and Internet marketing company that specializes in One-to-One Marketing. With more than six million customers and 180,000 Shopping Consultants worldwide, the company has generated over $3.4 billion in accumulated retail sales. Headquartered in Greensboro, NC – the company was founded in 1992 by president and CEO James Ridinger and employs over 600 people globally with international operations in the United States, Canada, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Australia and the UK. Through its revolutionary One-to-One Marketing concept, Market America combines the Internet with the power of people – creating the ultimate online shopping destination. More information is available at MarketAmerica.com